1 (edited by Jim Lloyd 2020-06-28 14:30:10)

Topic: Background in html editor

Not totally sure if bug or I am doing something wrong:

I have a black background to the editor which I can't change. It's the same for every new instance. I would show a screen shot, but I don't know how to add images here. It is not changed when I change the background style under the Style tab, or the text background in the editor. Very frustrating as I can't see what I am typing!. Windows 10 - same problem with Chrome and Edge.

EDIT ....

I seemed to have solved the problem but leave this here as it might be a bug.

I found that this problem only occured on one page. This had an image as a background, but also had colour set as #0000. When I replaced #0000 with blank, the problem went away.

Jim

Re: Background in html editor

Hi Jim, thank you for your report on this.

This is partly a known feature: the background of the page will also change the background of the HTML tools within that page, I think this was done intentionally, because otherwise, it would be very hard to write white text for example in an HTML tool, if the background of the exposition is black. However, I think if the color is changed from transparent to something else in the HTML tool, this should be reflected in the HTML tool, so I will report that as a bug.

Thanks Casper

I am finding it really difficult to use this as I am trying to type black text on a black background all the time ! - Driving me mad. Is there a fix?

Jim

A related question - How can you tell in the html editor if you have the text background set to a colour or transparent. Its obvious if the text background is different to the editor background, but otherwise I am not sure how you tell?

Thanks

6 (edited by Jim Lloyd 2020-07-12 17:52:44)

Update

I think I have worked out what the problem is. It seems to be a bug, but I am surprised it hasn't been raised before and fixed. I think that the html editor is setting its background colour to the colour of the PAGE rather than the background colour of the the html object.  This would seem to be the wrong way to do it. For example in my case I have an overall black background to the page, but on the page I have text boxes which have a light grey background and black text. So when I try to edit the text, I can't see it as the html editor background and the text is black. I guess the work around is simply to only adjust page background once all text edits have been made, although it isn't working as intended. If I do want white text on a black background in text box, then I have to set the page background to black to do this.

So I think its a bug.

Thank you for your further clarification!
Would your problem be solved if the behavior is changed as follows:
- If HTML tool has no background color set of itself -> tool will show the background color of the page (if any).
- If the HTML tool has a background color of itself -> tool only shows the background color of the tool, not that of the page.

Thanks Casper - Yes that would be great!

Jim